VF-154 arose when a Naval Reserve squadron was called to operational duty for the Korean war. The squadron, was activated as VFB-718 upon the 1st of July 1946. Initially based at NAS Floyd Bennett, NY, their first mount was the F-6F Heelcat, soon followed by the F-4U Corsair. As well as changing aircraft the squadron went through several designation changes, becoming VF-68A then VF-837. During their time as VF-837 the squadron moved from NAS Floyd Bennett to NAS Moffett Field, CA.