STS Peter and Paul Orthodox Church, former Congregation Montefiore Synagogue, SLC, UT The Congregation Montefiore was established by a conservative group within the Jewish community in 1895. Following the religious dispute the orthodox believers built this temple and the reform congregation erected the B'nai Israel Temple. The Montefiore synagogue was constructed at a cost of $9000 in 1903. It was designed by Carl Neuhausen. The combined Jewish congregations built a new, common temple in 1970 and the old temple was sold in 1987. Today it's an Orthodox Christian church.