Affirmation over an HDR image of a church sanctuary showing the stained glass and cross over a baptismal.
Pilgrim Lutheran Church, Lexington, SC
On September 17, 1899, the Reverend J. A. Cromer organized Pilgrim Evangelical Lutheran Church, with 77 charter members ... 37 males and 40 females. According to Mr. Thomas H. Wingard, a member of the first confirmation class, the members suggested names for the church. These names were placed in a hat and one name was drawn. Mrs. Angella Harmon Wingard had suggested "Pilgrim" and that was the name drawn. The name was meant to designate "those on a journey of faith."
The first church building, a wooden structure, was built on the present site in 1901 at a cost of $1,347. It was remodeled in 1926. In 1938, electric lights were added. The building served the congregation until it was replaced by the present stone building in 1951, which is just as beautiful today as it was the year it was erected. Groundbreaking for the Parish Education Building was held in July, 1968 and was dedicated the following year. A Fellowship Hall was added in the early eighties. In 2003, another 'facility' was erected ... a 'cyber' facility aim the word of God to an ever larger audience.
Today, Pilgrim Lutheran is a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We have grown from 77 to over 600 members. In recent months, the pace of Sunday worship attendance has picked up dramatically, centered around the growing Lexington area. And, once again, the work of the Lord continues ... with planning for another expansion of our facilities and a rededication of our efforts to strengthen our community outreach programs.