Before the German invasion Sigulda, called then Satezele, was a castle of Livonian people (Finnish tribe). In 1207 German knights built a mural castle Segewold here. It became a residence of the land marshal (vice-Master) of the Teutonic Order. The town at castle is first time mentioned in 14th century. After 1561 (the downfall of the Order) numerous wars destroyed the castle and almost swept off the town. The new growth of Sigulda began in 19th century, when it became a resort, popular among inhabitants of Riga. In 1928 city rights were granted. The arms were granted in 1938. Three leaves and three blossoms mean the beauty of this place..