Built in 1904, in Cleveland, Ohio, at the shipyards of the American Shipbuilding Company. She was built for the Anchor Line, the marine division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The ship was 361 feet in length, 45 feet in beam, a depth of 28 feet, with a gross tonnage of 4333 tons. It carried 350 passengers in staterooms at 18 knots. As originally built, it had a riveted steel hull and a wooden superstructure. For the Pennsylvania Railroad, she carried passengers and package freight between Duluth, Minnesota, and Buffalo, New York, until 1915. She was the second of three nearly identical sister ships each designed to be a "really modern combination freight and passenger ship." In the late 1970s, the ship was renamed S/S Clipper and served as a maritime museum and convention facility at Navy Pier in Chicago, Illinois. In December 1983, the Milwaukee Clipper was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in May 1989 she was designated a National Historic Landmark. The next year, she was moved to Hammond, Indiana. She was sold on December 2, 1997 for use as a museum in Muskegon, Michigan.
Once again named "Milwaukee Clipper", she is currently docked at Muskegon, Michigan, tied up to the collapsing remnants of the old Grand Trunk Ferry dock undergoing restoration by volunteers. The ship was open for tours until the summer of 2007, but was closed to the public, pending spring 2008 relocation efforts that were ultimately unsuccessful.