About this store
Net proceeds from this online store benefit the non-profit historic site and its many activities. The Gaylord Building played a vital role in one of the great enterprises of the 19th century: the Illinois & Michigan Canal. A landmark since 1838, its many tenants and uses exemplify the canal's commercial success as the key to mastery of the American mid-continent. This handsome limestone warehouse originally stored canal construction materials and later housed a variety of commercial ventures, including a general store from 1859 to 1886. Today it is a national example of adaptive re-use that is helping redefine how historic structures are saved and used throughout the United States.