Ships following Haro Strait on their way to the Strait of Juan de Fuca make a sharp turn at Turn Point in Stuart Island. The government established a lighthouse at the point in 1893, beginning as a lantern and a Daboll fog signal. A small keeper’s house was built just uphill from the lantern tower. In 1936, the lantern and foghorn were updated and placed in a concrete tower. The light was automated in 1974.