Skateboarding, graphic design, illustration – these forms of expression are linked in an almost classical way with today’s street –culture.
For more than two decades, skateboarding has been part of the life of Christian Rothenhagen and directed his interest towards illustration and design – and spawned the
small, label / output „deerBLN“.
This moniker corresponds to himself, his friends and a circle of interested people – and to the city, never absent in the artwork of Christian Rothenhagen.
It’s also the vision of a native Berliner referring to urban changes in the old walled city.
The works of Christian Rothenhagen confront his urban surroundings – the decay, conurbation and agglomeration.
The style in which he presents his works is a crossover of design and art.
He lets his viewers enter the street life of Berlin. The drawings are a map of Berlin, the way it is and what it's changing into.
You experience the inside, feel the edges and learn to really see the dark corners known as the desolate and unfriendly urban areas.
Christian relates to his city and shows the changes and fragments.
To watch the demolition of a building, which was part of his youth and see a new one, arising at the same spot shows the development the city is experiencing.
That’s how Christian Rothenhagen addresses his native city Berlin. Living there for more than three decades now he has a lot to tell – via graphic-design, illustration, fine art and art-installations.
Founded in 2004 “deerBLN” serves primarily as an output to distribute his art, his personal perception and impression of his surroundings.
In 2004 Christian founded “deerBLN” as an output, a medium to distribute his art via shirts or goods that will fit to his personal signature. The mad limited runs of selected items clearly signalize the importance of his artistic focus, disregarding all aspects of a typical label.
Christian started his first clothing company back in 1990, named “Feelin’Z”. The intention was to deliver fine garments to Germany’s skateboarding youth at a time when the market was predominantly flooded with US American brands. “Feelin’Z” initial range encompassed limited edition runs of T-shirts, pants, shirts, sweat-shirts and accessories like caps, beanies, and belts.
Feelin’Z was available in 15 selected stores throughout Germany – and represented by a team of renowned skaters.
However, within the next years Christian’s interest in art related projects grew constantly. Basically, it grew to the extent where he finally refrained from “Feelin’Z” in 1998 to pursue artistic life detached from the business side that got into skateboarding.
From that significant turn on Christian directed his artistic endeavors to illustrations and art-installations.
Several years and exhibitions later he turned into a freelance art director/graphic-designer and illustrator.
Again doing his own label/… “deerBLN”, but now focusing on the artistic content.
Still living in Berlin, and still addressing the city and everybody around.
www.deerbln.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
www.christianrothenhagen.com | email@example.com
• Berliner Kunstprojekt “taking pictures”, group show
• Berliner Kunstprojekt, group show
- • Online Art-Platform “tum-berlin.net” …
• BREAD+butter, Berlin “Werkstatt”, group show, season A/W
• Galerie Knoth und Krüger, Berlin, installation & solo show “Useless Wooden Things”
• BREAD+butter, Berlin “Werkstatt”, group show and curation, season S/S,
“Deer at home and coffee“, room installation
• BREAD+butter, Berlin “Werkstatt”, group show, season A/W,
“Sechs Pinsel und ein Besen”
• A•rte/undenk “Secret Showroom No 1”, Cologne, group show
• BREAD+butter, Barcelona “Werkstatt”, group show, season S/S
“Secret Showroom No.2”
• BREAD+butter, Berlin “Werkstatt”, group show and curation, season S/S
“Secret Showroom No.3”
• ROXY JAM 06, Biarritz/ France “exhibition keep-a-breast.org“
KAB cast display featuring casts of the ROXY girls painted by European artists
• LAST Mag, Cover artwork, double page and artist feature
• Group show at deerBLN studio, Berlin
• “Look Mom, they stole the corner around the corner”,
solo show at “Knoth & Krueger Gallery” Berlin
• Artist-Collaboration with LEWSADERcollective.com, full clothing line
• SKATEBOARD ART group show at INOPERABle gallery, Vienna/ Austria
• SKATEBOARD ART group show, Bucurest/ Romania
• Live painting at the ROXY JAM 07 in Biarritz/ France
• Cast painted for Keep-a-Breast.org, auctioned at the ROXY JAM 07
• “Augenweide” studio show at deerBLN studio, Berlin
• Live painting during the “art on surfboards” show (Art on Foam | Spacejunk) at
gallery art:ig, Munich/ Germany
• RIVIERA Magazine, San Diego/US, short artist feature (BOMB LOVE BRIGADE)
• Solo show “ABRISS” at “gallery open” Berlin (Nov 07-Jan 08)
• Mural/store design at CARHARTT Berlin
• TIDE Magazine, full length Interview & artist feature
• Solo show Berlin-Drawings at “Deutsche Rentenversicherung BUND” Berlin
• Solo show “my view” at CARHARTT Berlin
• Mural/store design (cooperation with Chrisitee) at “STIL” skate- & sneaker store Vienna/ Austria
• Customized POINTER sneaker for several art exhibits in Germany
• “deerBLNproject 01” at SUPERPLAN gallery Berlin, growing group show
• RAUSCH Magazine, Interview, artist feature, cover artwork
• “deerBLNproject 02” at INOPERAble gallery Vienna/ Austria, growing group show
• “Berlin Drawings…” at “Bis Auf’s Messer”, solo show, Berlin/ Germany
• Interview/artist feature at artsprojekt.com
• “Vehicles of Emancipation” group show with The Oyster Pirates collaborative Workshop,
VARNISH gallery, San Francisco, Ca., USA
• PROUD Magazine Berlin, artist feature/interview
• Group show with The Oyster Pirates collaborative workshop, CARHARTT Berlin
• “deerBLNproject 03” at CARHARTT Cologne, growing group show
• “COLLABORATIONS” by The Oyster Pirates collaborative Workshop,
group show, KAYO gallery, Salt Lake City/ Utah/ USA
• “THREESOME” group show at “NICE/NICE”, Hannover/ Germany
• “KunStart 09” 6th. Intl. art fair of Bolzano/ Italy. Four day
live painting (24 x 2.5 m mural) with STRYCHNIN gallery
• “Deconstructed” Oyster Pirates group show at ALPINE ART gallery, Salt Lake City/ Utah/ USA
• GARA Magazine/ Bilbao, Basque. Artist feature/Interview
• Live painting at “ibaz berlin” fair
• “A Strong Presence”, KAYO Gallery, Salt Lake City/ Utah/ USA. Group show with Michael Page, Shawn Webber, Christian Rothenhagen / Window Intallation by Corey Day & Color Maisch
• “Project Wrecking Ball”, Fundraiser Project at/for VARNISH Gallery, San Francisco/ Ca./ USA.
• Room installation with Mark Ryden Poster show & Book Release at STRYCHNIN gallery Berlin
• “Oyster Pirates” group show at SWOP ART gallery, Stockholm/ Sweden
• “Seven Year Itch” Anniversary group show featuring the best of STRYCHNIN gallery, Berlin
• “Round 6” group show at KAYO gallery, Salt Lake City/ Ut./ USA
• “deerBLNproject 04” at STRYCHNIN gallery, Berlin, growing group show – ongoing project
• “Edge of Love”, STRYCHNIN gallery Berlin, a group show curated by Yasha Young & Andy Howell
• “BLOOOM” Art Fair, Cologne, curator
• “Round 7” group show at KAYO gallery, Salt Lake City/ Ut./ USA
• EASTPAK Artist Studio, charity show for BJOERN SCHULZ STIFTUNG, Galerie Ruttkowski, Cologne
• “Mad Potters Tea Party”, group show at STRYCHNIN gallery Berlin
• “Mein Berlin”, group show & curation at NEONCHOCOLATE gallery, Berlin
• “BLOOOM” Art Fair, Cologne, curator