THE SHORTER MANSION - EUFAULA, ALABAMA ADULT APRON
The Shorter Mansion is an Classical Revival-style historic house museum in Eufaula, Alabama. The two-story masonry structure was built in 1884 by Eli Sims Shorter II and his wife, Wileyna Lamar Shorter. They extensively remodeled the house from 1901 to 1906, with the results of that effort being the facade that is seen today. Eli Sims Shorter died in 1908, but his wife resided in the house until 1927, when it was passed to their daughter, Fannie Shorter Upshaw. It was in turn inherited by Upshaw's daughter, Wileyna S. Kennedy, in 1959. The Kennedy family moved away from the city and the house was purchased by the Eufaula Heritage Association, initially formed in order to buy and restore the house, at auction for $33,000 in 1965. The Eufaula Heritage Association organized the city's first pilgrimage in 1966 and became the primary historic preservation organization in Eufaula, a role it continues to fulfill to the present day. The mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 14, 1972.